FUNDATIA IOAN BARBUS

Una pe zi de BBC – la joacă cu teroriştii

Am accentuat cîteva fraze care surprind mentalitatea şi psihologia bebecistului.

The BBC funded a paintballing trip for men later accused of Islamic terrorism and failed to pass on information about the 21/7 bombers to police, a court was told yesterday.

Mohammed Hamid, who is charged with overseeing a two-year radicalisation programme to prepare London-based Muslim youths for jihad, was described as a “cockney comic” by a BBC producer.

The BBC paid for Mr Hamid and fellow defendants Muhammad al-Figari and Mousa Brown to go on a paintballing trip at the Delta Force centre in Tonbridge, Kent, in February 2005. The men, accused of terrorism training, were filmed for a BBC programme called Don’t Panic, I’m Islamic, screened in June 2005.

The BBC paid Mr Hamid, an Islamic preacher who denies recruiting and grooming the men behind the failed July 2005 attack, a £300 fee to take part in the programme, Woolwich Crown Court was told.

It was alleged that Mr Hamid told a BBC reporter that he would use the corporation’s money to pay a fine imposed by magistrates for a public order offence.

Nasreen Suleaman, a researcher on the programme, told the court that Mr Hamid, 50, contacted her after the July 2005 attack and told her of his association with the bombers. But she said that she felt no obligation to contact the police with this information. Ms Suleaman said that she informed senior BBC managers but was not told to contact the police.

Ms Suleaman told the court that Mr Hamid was keen to appear in the programme. She said: “He was so up for it. We took the decision that paintballing would be a fun way of introducing him.

“There are many, many British Muslims that I know who for the past 15 or 20 years have been going paintballing. It’s a harmless enough activity. I don’t think there is any suggestion, or ever has been, that it’s a terrorist training activity.”

The court was told previously that Mr Hamid taunted police on his return from an alleged terror training camp in the New Forest where exercises included somersaults, pole-vaulting and paintballing.

Ms Suleaman said she was not aware that Ramzi Mohammed and Hussein Osman, two of the July bombers, had joined Mr Hamid at the Tonbridge paintball centre on July 3, 2005.

Ms Suleaman said that Mr Hamid was agitated after the July attack. She said: “I think he was worried that perhaps the men might call him because they were on the run at the time. I think he was very, very shocked about the fact that the men he knew were accused of this.”

Duncan Penny, for the prosecution, asked Ms Suleaman if she had told Mr Hamid to go to the police or contacted the police herself. Mr Penny asked: “Here was a man who told you that he knew those individuals who, as I understand it, were still at large for what on the face of it was the attempted bombings of the transport network a fortnight after it happened, and he was telling you he had some knowledge of them? There was a worldwide manhunt going on, wasn’t there?”

She replied: “I got the sense that he was already talking to the police. I referred it to my immediate boss at the BBC. I wasn’t told that there was an obligation. In fact it was referred above her as well. It was such a big story.” She added: “I don’t think it’s my obligation to tell another adult that he should go to the police.”

Mr Hamid had told her he had not spoken to Muktar Said Ibrahim, the ringleader of the 21/7 plot, since October 2004 and there was no suggestion that Mr Hamid knew anything about the attempted attack.

Phil Rees, who produced the show, told the court that he was impressed by Mr Hamid’s sense of humour while looking for someone to appear in the documentary. He said: “I think he had a comic touch and he represented a strand within British Muslims. I took it as more like a rather Steptoe and Son figure rather than seriously persuasive. I saw him as a kind of Cockney comic.” Mr Rees, who now works for the Arabic TV station al-Jazeera, gave Mr Hamid a signed copy of his book Dining With Terrorists.

Mr Hamid is charged with Mr al-Figari, 42, Mr Brown, 41, Kader Ahmed, 20, and Kibley Da Costa, 24. Atilla Ahmet, 43, has admitted soliciting murder.

Mr Hamid denies providing weapons training, five charges of soliciting murder and three of providing training for terrorism. The other men deny a series of charges related to training.

BBC ‘took terrorist trainers paintballing’
The Times

Emil Borcean

Emil Borcean

3 comentarii

  1. Francesco
    6 decembrie 2007

    Imi recunosc abia-trecuta nestiinta in legatura cu paintball-ul. Norocul meu cu wikipedia cara m-a lamurit repede:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paintball

    Ce s-au mai distrat baietii de la BBC cand au vazut cum se pot distra alde Hamid si compania! Ce fericiti au fost cu totii! Bebecistii ca i-au facut fericiti pe muslimi, iar acestia ca s-au antrenat! If for real would be some crestin pe acolo, dar pe acolo unde sunt gloante adevarate, cu atat mai bine!
    Morala la BBC este un lucru de prisos, impovarator si fara inteles intr-o lume relativista.

  2. emil
    6 decembrie 2007

    Un moment de mare sensibilitate a fost cind reporterita de la BBC a anuntat moartea lui Arafat. Facea eforturi vadite sa-si inghita lacrimile.
    Acuma inteleg care e dumnezeul duduilor de la sectia de externe a Cotidianului.

  3. fishbone
    6 decembrie 2007

    Aceasta e o simptoma si comportament mai mult sau mai putin europeana. Sotul isi bate nevasta, e problema lor, eu nu ma bag. Aceasta neimplicare se ramifica, dupa cum se poate observa, in toate partile.

Lasă un răspuns

Adresa ta de email nu va fi publicată. Câmpurile obligatorii sunt marcate cu *

Campania pentru “alegerile” la președinția Rusiei programate pentru 15-17 Martie se înfierbântă. Nu încape îndoială că Vladimir Vladimirovici va fi “reales la al N-șpelea congres”, dar întrebările pasionante care rămân sunt: 1) Câți contracandidați vor fi lăsați în cursa electorală măcar așa, de ochii lumii? 2) Cine va mai fi aruncat din tren înainte de …

Putin-stalin-1000x600-11

Comunitatea ucraineană din București invită publicul și presa să participe la un marș care marchează doi ani de la invazia Rusiei din Ucraina – „un moment greu, 24 februarie 2024, comemorarea unei zile negre din istoria noastră și din istoria Europei, momentul declanșării invaziei pe scară largă de către Federația Rusă și generarea celei mai …

protest ucraina arcul de triumf
Ce ai mai putea citi
ro_RORomanian